WireGuard support and deployment
Updated: January 18, 2020
Here's a list of software and things that use or support the state of the art WireGuard VPN by Jason Donenfeld.
PLEASE NOTE: I only just started this page so it's a work in progress. Check soon for updates!
Operating Systems: package management
The following operating systems provide WireGuard as an easily installable port or binary package:
- FreeBSD: pkg install wireguard
- OpenBSD: pkg_add wireguard-go wireguard-tools
Official WireGuard Software
- Go: wireguard-go
- Rust: wireguard-rs
- Android: WireGuard/Android
- iOS: WireGuard/iOS
- MacOS: WireGuard/MacOS
3rd party WireGuard software
It is recommended to use official WireGuard software whenever possible. The below apps are included for posterity and developer interest.
- 3rd party: TunSafe — Experimental WireGuard Client for OSX (3rd party)
- 3rd party: BoringTun — a userspace WireGuard implementation in Rust (3rd party)
- Thomas Ptacek: "WireGuard is much faster than OpenVPN, much simpler to set up than OpenVPN (except for having to set up IP addresses it's approximately as easy to get working as SSH), and it's much, much more secure than OpenVPN."
- 2017-03-10: Mullvad announces WireGuard testing
- 2019-12-03: Mozilla announces Firefox Private Network, using WireGuard
- 2019-12-08: WireGuard merged into net-next
WireGuard support coming soon!
- The Linux kernel will support WireGuard VPN!!
- WireGuard for OpenBSD — a native implementation! :-)
- WireGuard in kernel for NetBSD
- WireSep — A privilege separated userland implementation of WireGuard for OpenBSD
"Powered by WireGuard"