WireGuard support and deployment
Updated: May 28, 2020
Here's a list of software and things that use or support the state of the art WireGuard VPN by Jason A. Donenfeld.
Official WireGuard Software
- Android: WireGuard/Android
- iOS: WireGuard/iOS
- Linux: included in kernel 5.6 or later
- macOS: WireGuard/macOS
- Go: wireguard-go
- Rust: wireguard-rs
Operating Systems: package management
The following operating systems provide WireGuard as an easily installable port or binary package:
- FreeBSD: pkg install wireguard
- OpenBSD: pkg_add wireguard-go wireguard-tools
- OpenWRT: opkg install wireguard
- Linux: wide support; see official installation docs for more
3rd party WireGuard software
It is recommended to use official WireGuard software whenever possible. The below apps are included for posterity and developer interest.
- 3rd party: TunSafe — userspace C++ client for Windows, Linux, macOS, FreeBSD, Android (3rd party)
- 3rd party: WireSep — userspace WireGuard for OpenBSD with privsep and tight pledge(2) (3rd party)
- 3rd party: BoringTun — a userspace WireGuard implementation in Rust (3rd party)
Other WireGuard goodies
- Wireshark support for WireGuard — the world's most popular network protocol analyzer
- Tailscale — Connect all your devices using WireGuard, without the hassle
- wireguard-vanity-address — generate Wireguard keypairs with a given prefix string
- Wireguard-Vanity-Key-Searcher — A Python script to create Curve25519 keys with a given b64
- kilo — a multi-cloud network overlay built on WireGuard and designed for Kubernetes
- Wg Gen Web — Simple Web based configuration generator for WireGuard
- Subspace — A simple WireGuard VPN server GUI
- Thomas Ptacek: "WireGuard is much faster than OpenVPN, much simpler to set up than OpenVPN (except for having to set up IP addresses it's approximately as easy to get working as SSH), and it's much, much more secure than OpenVPN."
- 2016-06-28: WireGuard Launched!
- 2017-03-10: Mullvad announces WireGuard testing
- 2017-12-29: 34C3 WireGuard Workshop
- 2018-05-16: Alpha Snapshots of WireGuard for Android and macOS
- 2018-12-20: WireGuard for iOS - now in the App Store
- 2019-02-16: WireGuard for macOS is announced
- 2019-03-23: Wintun: Layer 3 TUN Driver for Windows
- 2019-05-08: download Windows pre-alpha for testing
- 2019-07-18: OPNsense 19.7 supports WireGuard
- 2019-12-03: Mozilla announces Firefox Private Network, using WireGuard
- 2019-12-08: WireGuard merged into net-next
- 2020-01-19: Wireguard is now in Linus' tree
- 2020-03-20: ANDROID: GKI: enable CONFIG_WIREGUARD
- 2020-03-29: Linux kernel 5.6 is released, including WireGuard
- 2020-05-12: WireGuard patches for OpenBSD posted
WireGuard support coming soon!
"Powered by WireGuard"